We started Local.fo in January of 2018 on the theory that tourists, foreigners and immigrants are interested in news and information from the Faroe Islands.
Local.fo has had a great start and we’ve developed an enthusiastic readership. In the last months, we’ve served over 600 articles and more than 80 picture galleries and videos from events in the Faroe Islands and Local.fo has turned into a 40+ hour/week job for the two of us.
Each week our global readership grows. We’re currently approaching 20.000 readers a month with our website. In July we had readers from more than 170 countries around the world.
We have come to the conclusion that income from advertisements is not sustainable to secure the future of Local.fo, and therefore we invite you help us keep going with the help of your generous donations.
What We Use the Money For:
- Hosting. We need a robust enough hosting plan to support the highest spikes in traffic we ever get so we don’t crash during those moments.
- Ongoing web development. It’s a website, so there are always upsetting glitches coming out of nowhere and occasionally, we add a new site feature.
- Facebook post “boosts”. When we announce a new post on Facebook, this makes sure that the announcement gets to a larger audience.
- More employees. We need someone to handle things like writing and editing more articles every day, go to events and take pictures/videos, and a bunch of other jobs. These things end up adding up to a several hours every day, and without extra employees, we end up doing it all and have much less time to give the reader what he wants.
- Information about the Faroe Islands. Several readers are reaching out to us every week with regards to information about the Faroe Islands. We would love to help out, but without funding this is difficult.
The way Patreon works is that reader can donate whatever they want per month and the donation is automatically recurring. Anything, from $5/month up, is very helpful.
Thanks for any support you can offer, and thanks for reading Local.fo!